From Japanese mahjong wiki
- Overall, what is the current point standing?
- Answer 1
- Point standing have great influence over whether to call riichi or not. In this example, it was completely unnecessary.
- Is it necessary to improve the hand by calling riichi?
- Would damaten be sufficient?
- For the first two hands, riichi was not called as the hands were valued enough without the riichi call. A call for riichi in either example produces minimal gain for the risk of riichi.
- Can the hand be improved by drawing particular tiles?
- How many tiles are available for winning?
- Is it safe to discard the extra tile, to call riichi?
- Did anyone else call riichi previously?
- How many tile draws are left?
- Does the hand require riichi to end the game, while in the preferred position (1st - 3rd)?
- Riichi was called here, as the hand is able to end the game by sending a player into negative. Yet, the position of 2nd is retained.